Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thai Garlic Basil Chicken Over Rice...

Before we begin our Recipe Tutorial, Beanie the Wonder Dog (aka Weiner Beans) would like to take a moment to say hello. She feels that a gross injustice has occured as she feels she hasn't appeared nearly enough on this blog. So per my new contract with her that she forced me to sign, here is Weiner Beans!
Several people have asked me for my Thai Garlic Basil Chicken Recipe and so I decided to show a tutorial on my blog. I was preparing the ingredients and had my camera sitting on the counter when The Bear came in to see what I was up to, he grabbed my camera and snapped this photo of me before I knew he was even there! Isn't he sweet?

First I'd like to speak to me wearing gloves. I was chopping up the peppers and taking their seeds out. No I don't always cook with gloves. Just thought I needed to speak to that. Oh, and Sabrina, that's the apron I bought for $5 at the I-76 Antique Mall.

I will give the full recipe at the end of this post for you all. Here are the prepared ingredients. Onion cut in half then sliced, I also add some green onions for a fun texture, Thai Basil (NOT the same as our basil. It has a purple stem and tastes different, you can substiture regular basil if you must but its worth going to the asian market) Thai Chilies seeds removed and chopped. Garlic minced.

Here are the liquids. Peanut Oil for the stir-frying, Fish Sauce (Do NOT be afraid of it. It's a key in grediant. It WILL smell nasty but cooks out fast and does NOT taste like is smells I promise) And lastly, SWEET Soy Sauce. This is what took me the longest to find. You can NOT use regular Soy Sauce it's way too salty. If you can't find the Sweet Soy then you might as well not even make the recipe.

Here's my electric Wok! Oh how we LOVE our wok. Thanks to my mum-in-law for this one! Add the Peanut Oil and crank up the wok!

You add the Garlic first till its fragrant, then add the White Onion. Once the onion is a little tender then add the Ground Chicken. (note I didn't take a picture of the chicken in the ingredients section. Figured you knew what it looked like!) Once the chicken is no longer pink add the green onions.

Then you add your chopped Thai Chillies! It's starting to look pretty don't you think?Let that cook for about a min or two.

Now you add The Sweet Soy Sauce. This will turn it a darker nuttier brown color. Stir to combine then you add the Fish Sauce. Remember, it will smell nasty but does cook out.

The last thing you add are the Basil leaves. They are left whole, just plucked off the stem.
Once they wilt in a few seconds then it's done! Yummy! Time to eat everyone.

Serve over rice and of course with chop sticks! Also a glass of tea would be nice.
All in all trust me, it takes longer to chop and prepare this recipe than it does to stir fry and throw together. Very very quick. It's soo good that I can no longer order this when we go out for Thai as I'm always disappointed that it's not as good as mine!
Hope you've enjoyed the show!
Thai Garlic Basil Chicken
2-3 Tblsp Peanut Oil
8-10 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 small Onion, halved then sliced
1 bunch Green onions, trimmed
1 Lb. Ground Chicken
10 Thai chillies, seeds removed then chopped
1Tblsp Sweet Soy Sauce (I use a little more)
2 Tblsp Fish Sauce
1 bunch of Thai Sweet Basil, leaves left whole and just plucked off stem
Have fun cooking my lovelies! Remember if there's ever a recipe you've heard me make and want the recipe just let me know and I'll pop a cute recipe postcard in the mail for ya.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

This was a fun read, and I'm glad to see "w.b." has made a showing!

Nathan Mollet said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM