Monday, October 27, 2008

Stupid Stabbing, An ER Visit and the Hot Dog that caused it all...

Some of you may have heard about my unfortunate Stupid Stabbing Incident last thursday. Yep I was home alone and began my day as usual, feeding the dog and giving her allergy meds in pieces of Hot Dog. Well I ended up Violently Stabbing myself in the left hand with the knife while trying to open the package. It was one of those violent stabbings where the knife didn't stop till it hit bone! Yeah there was lots of blood. Now when it's someone else's blood I am totally cool and can take charge of the situation. But in the case of my own blood I imediately get dizzy and pass out. Not good when you are home alone. Luckily I was able to get to the sink and rinse it out while kneeling on the floor. I called my mother and she talked me through getting it bandaged and she stayed on the line while I drove myself to the ER. Now you may be saying to yourself, not really a good idea at this point to talk on the cell and drive but hey, you weren't there. A girl needs her mommy in times like these! She wanted to make sure I didn't pass out while on the way. Here is proof of just how very pathetic I can be! I just had to snap a pic of myself as proof to all my loved ones of my sad incident. Thankfully the ER was very empty. I barely got this pic taken before my name was called. They probably thought I was a loony. I guess that's why they asked me "Are you a danger to yourself? Is your home environment safe for you?" Well it is when I'm not busy stabbing myself. I don't think she thought that was very funny!
I sat alone on the bed waiting to be seen. I did have the fore thought to bring a book along with me. I never leave home without one. For those of you who are paying attention, yes it's been almost a month now and I'm not finished with John Irving. but hey, cut me some slack it is almost 600 pages! Here is a very bad pic of the hole I made. I reported that my pain was a Solid 7 on the pain scale! GIVE ME PAIN MEDS! I'm such a wuss.Here is a picture of the knife, the hotdog and my ER bracelet along with my antibiotics so I don't get an infection! Luckily I stabbed myself with a CLEAN knife BEFORE it had Hot dog on it! Atleast I have that to be thankful for.Here is my hand as it looks today. I took the bandage off and just need a bandaid I think. The scar will be almost invisible and I think I'll heal quite nicely. Just no door knobs or opening jars for a while.
Don't you just feel sorry for me? I thought so. In lou of donations to any charities on my behalf we are excepting card of sympathy!
Thank you to all of you out there who have called to check on my over the last few days. My recovery wouldn't have nearly as complete without all of you!

4 comments:

Shannon MacGrogan-Ellis said...

oh my, you're too funny! I love your vewy sad wittle face in the ER!

Anonymous said...

Wow Rachel,
That does look painful.
But hey your nails look great.
Stay away from Knives!
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Oh my LAWD you are very very good at the pathetic face! I sure feel sorry for Brian when you want something! Ha! Glad you are doing better my darling. Can I still call you gimpy if it is a hand and not a foot that has gone wonky? X

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.