Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I've got a Library of Congress library card do you?

When I heard my aunt wanted to come and see me for a weekend trip I just knew we had to go get library cards for the Library of Congress since after all she works at the library back home! How cool would that be I asked her? Well of course the idea was greeted with smiles. So we did our homework and found anyone over 18 can get a card. So off we went.

Once we found the little office where they dole out these little gems I stepped up to the counter only to be greeted by what at first seemed to be a cranky government worker type who promptly asked me "ARE YOU PLANNING ON DOING RESEARCH AND STARTING SAID RESEARCH TODAY? THESE CARDS ARE NOT FOR SOUVENIRS." Well the look on my face I'm sure was one of shock and suprise. I stated that I lived in Alexandria VA and that I had family in town with me. Well with that news her face loosened and she smiled and said "OH, YOU'RE LOCAL, WELL THAT'S A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. COME ON IN AND LET'S GET YOU ALL CARDS" From then on she was jolly and oh so friendly. I'm sure her job gets frustrating with all the millions of people coming through everyday and all year round. Needless to say we are now proud owners of Reader Identification Cards for the Library of Congress. I can't wait to get my hands on some of those books!
This is a sneak peak view of the main reading room in the Library of Congress as seen through the window of a door. Since I didn't yet have my reader card I wasn't able to go in and take a pic so this one will have to do! What a beautiful building. And as one lovely and close pal said "It's Nerd heaven".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH MY GOD! I've so always wanted to go to the Library of Congress but I had NO IDEA it was so beautiful! I'm just in shock. How cool you did this and how easy it seems! Brilliant idea & thanks so much for the pictures!

HomeImprovementNinja said...

Nice building. Nerd heaven, indeed.