Saturday, May 15, 2010

Woolly Bear Adventure, Part 3...

This has proven to be the toughest photo challenge I think I've had to date. Please accept my apologies right here at the start for the photos. This little guy chose a really tough locale for photos.

Lets take a peek shall we? On Saturday May 8th our little guys started to spin a little home for himself. Let me tell you it was a very slooooooow process indeed. No time lapse photography here like on the nature channel.
He started to "knit" together some leaves around himself by the side of his "house" which made for some challenging photography.

Can you see his fuzzy/furry black shape?

He's all nicely tucked in there, all comfy.

There's a close-up of the leaves he "knitted" together. You can see the web sticking the two leaves together where they meet. This view is looking down from above, he's directly under these leaves.
Over the course of a week's time my Woolly slowly started to slow down until he barely moved at all and I began to wonder if he was dead since nothing seemed to be happening. Well I awoke this morning to find this!!...

He had just, right before I peaked in on him, popped his skin off! Here he is all freshly shed and now in his pupa phase! It's simply amazing! I mean really, The Bear and I paused for a moment last night to take a peak right before we went to bed and he was looking the same as the first photos posted here, no change. Now he's all bright and shiny and new. AMAZING! I can't say it enough, I'm speechless.

I was really happy that I was even able to take this picture. This was really hard but so very worth it because in just a short couple of hours he turned all black.

Here he is a few hours later after he's turned black. I thought the other pictures were hard to capture, no, this one was way harder since the light no longer shines through him.

In this picture you can see his "skin" that has now shrunk and is on the end of him on the left there. You can still see some of his prickly skin.
According to what I've read, it will take several weeks for him to emerge as a Giant Leopard Moth. So now all there is to do is sit and wait. Rest assured that I'll let you know the moment he comes out from his slumber.
Time Line:
April 21st-Scooped up Woolly from the porch
May 1st-Second Photo Shoot
May 8th-Woolly started to "knit" leaves together
May 14th-Woolly turned into Pupa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Neat-o! You did get lucky with the timing on the shed. He really looks like a chrysalis now! Bringing back memories of doing this as a kid with monarchs.

Daithi O'Caiside said...

well cool