Friday, November 27, 2009

No Travel Turkey Day...

Early in the year The Bear and I made the decision that we would not be traveling home for the holidays. There were many factors that were involved in this decision but let me tell you, once you put your foot down, decide it for certain and make the announcement to the friends and family back home, a weight is lifted, the stress is gone and all that you are left with is the feeling of Holiday Season Bliss! I mean I even found myself smiling and humming along to Christmas music in the aisle of the grocery store! Yeah, I know, that is soooooo not like me.

Turkey Day is my all time favorite holiday. I just LOVE the feeling of the season. Thanksgiving is about letting those that you love, know that you love them. You don't need to stress out, spend lots of money or travel hundreds of miles to do that. It's as easy as sending a card or making a phone call. To me Christmas is WAY too commercial and superficial, and though I could really go on and on here and give you my HUGE list of problems with X-mas I will refrain and leave that for another day. I want this to remain a nice post about a delicious turkey and a cute little pup that just loves meat, freshly pulled off the bone meat to be exact. The Bear and I spent the day home alone preparing a delicious meal that we would have the benefit of having ALL the leftovers all to ourselves. Let me tell you, this meal was soooo good.
There is a rule in our home that if there is meat, you will be stared at intently while carving it. This is a stead fast rule that is never broken. She never barks, she never makes a scene, just stares and if you are successfull in ignoring her she'll move to step phase 2 which is to sit on your foot till you trip and drop some on the floor. If that doesn't work then she'll pull out all the stops and give you her most pathetic "Please mummy" face till your heart melts. Trust me, this one always works. What's a mom to do?

Our spread included, Turkey, Mashed Taters, Noodles, Corn, some of the best from scratch gravy ever made and new to us this year some very delicious homemade REAL Cranberry Sauce complete with orange zest! Where is the pie you ask? There must be pie, right? Tell me you had pie! Well yes we did have pie, a homemade pecan pie that is not pictured here because it barely lived long enough to even think about photographing it!
I hope that all of you dear readers had a most wonderful and loving Thanksgiving no matter where you were, who you were with or what you ate. Hugs to all of you.
Now, let the X-mas season begin! Christmas tunes anyone?

No comments: