Sunday, November 01, 2009

A Much Needed Weekend Away...

The Bear had to be in Charleston WV on a Friday afternoon for work, so why not make a long weekend out of it? We had hoped to get away in the Spring but it didn't work out. Since the weekend was already chosen for us, how could we argue with the universe, right? She was basically saying "Here, you have to be out of town anyways, sooooo what's the problem?"

Once Brian was done we had a 3hr drive to find the cabin we rented. By the time we got there it was PITCH BLACK out! It was fun driving the roads, watching it get darker and darker, finding the key in the lock box and getting through the gate. Navigating our way to the front door and trying not to crap my pants as I step inside and search for the light switch while every single shadow seems to be a serial killer. I watch lots of horror movies and this is a strange house in the dark. Before you call me too big a wuss, note that I was the one to walk through the door first and find the lights! ;)

Since we arrived in the dark we had no idea what the view looked like. I woke to the sunrise, and in slippers and a blaket walked out onto the deck and there it was, my view. The morning light was beautiful. There was a warm golden glow to everything and I just breathed it in slow and deep. This is the view of the cabin from the river. It was perfect, very clean and very well stocked.

This cabin really made me feel at home. The Bear and I are not city people at heart or by origin and this cabin was just what we needed to relax and remember who we are. We weren't circling eachother around the apartment, taking turns in the kitchen where we tend to elbow eachother etc.

Brian spent his time fishing among other things.

I spent a whole afternoon painting on the deck. Unfortunately the sun barely came out that afternoon but who cares right? Atleast it wasn't raining. Oh I had sooooo much fun. It had been so very long since I sat and painted, 3yrs I think? I wasn't going to pack all that but Bear said, "get those canvases out of the closet that have been there for YEARS". That's all the encouragement I needed. I'm so glad that he knows just what I needed. He's great that way.

Beanie even found a new pass time. She liked to sit on the futon and observe wildlife from the screened in porch. She's a city girl at heart and prefers to see nature rather than touch it. She spend half her time looking up at you and saying "MOM, I've got nature on me". Now she's a wuss.

The man loves to cook outside, what can I say. The only problem is that he cooks for us as well as the 4 teen age boys that we don't seem to actually have. "I thought you'd eat more" he says. I just look at him lovingly as I wrapped the leftovers up and place them gingerly in the fridge knowing that we won't be eating them since we only have 4 nights here and the Bear has steak, hotdogs, and sausages on the menu along with the 7 pieces of chicken he just grilled. Oh how yummy everything was, so good that I wish I could eat like 4 teen age boys!

Can't beat waking up to views like this.

And you definately can't do this in our apartment. Well we could string one up but then how to get the river in here as well. Hmm, workin on that one.
What relaxing adventures have you had or are planning this Fall?

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Looks like you guys had a great relaxing weekend. Your painting set up look so fun. I really want to see what you came up with, that was a gorgeous view!

Daithi O'Caiside said...

Jealous!!!! Great shot of the bear & beanie doing their thang!

Barb said...

I love the photos. Looks like a great getaway. I was cracking up when I saw how many pieces of chicken were on that grill. Then I read your comments, which were my sentiments exactly! I'm like, "Gee, who the hell are they cooking for? Did they throw a big party at the cabin!?"

Nathan Mollet said...

I am with Sabrina, we need to see the finished painting! Looked like alot of fun. I also chuckled as I saw brian cooking all that chicken, yum yum. But it is always nice to go somewhere new!