Sunday, February 19, 2006

Illustration Friday.....Song

Sharing the naked soul with strangers.

Whether it is music, writing or art, it still takes courage to bare the soul to others. This man was on the streets of DC sharing his talent with the world. I much admire the courage it takes to be this free.

This is a coffee painting. I discovered the wonders of painting with instant coffee while in a Junior High art class. I painted this picture with Instant Hazelnut flavored coffee. Finally my husband had to ask me what that sweet smell was. I just told him to go back to the video game, it was just my paint! Hope you enjoy this fun little painting. It didn't come out like what I had in my head, but it came out different and yet better. Paintings that smell wonderful too! What fun.

9 comments:

AscenderRisesAbove said...

Wonderful sepia picture. I am going to have to try that coffee painting technique. Is it just instant coffee? Do you let it cool?

Anonymous said...

I painted with coffee last week :) Yours has so much more depth like the soul of your muscian!

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely! You did a really nice job. Really impressed.
andrea

Unknown said...

I love this how cool to paint with coffee. I will have to give it a try sometime. your painting does have a lot of depth and soul

Shannon MacGrogan-Ellis said...

The tones and the life in this painting are really striking - and coffee is the perfect pigment for it! What a great piece!

Ronaldo said...

I love this captured moment! I love what you wrote about courage, too. Definitely going to try the coffee thing...

carla said...

This is really beautiful! I love the idea of painting with coffee - a real organic pigment!

Aravis said...

This is very cool. Beautifully done!

AscenderRisesAbove said...

Thanks for the reply on how to do coffee art. I wonder how to preserve something like that? Regardless - a great technique of moleskiners in coffee houses! When I was taught watercolor in college the professor showed us how to suck on the brush hairs to get the right amount of water on the brush... then he advised us NOT to do that... but i is such a perfect technique. Anyway: I would be very tempted to do that dipped in coffee ;-)