Thursday, February 16, 2006

Illustration Friday.....Chair

This is a watercolor sketch on a postcard made from handmade paper from India that was stainded with coffe before the watercolor was applied. This is my spinning wheel and chair. When I was 9 years old I had angora rabbits and I harvested their wool and I took spinning lessons from a woman named Mary Stock. She had a studio in her barn where the sheep were below and while you were there taking you lesson you could hear the sheep walking around down below you. It was kind of relaxing in a way. My mother ordered this spinning wheel and chair from New Zealand and spent weeks finishing the wood and putting it together in our basement so that she could surprise me with it on Christmas. I still have these and I will charish them always. The love that went into not only getting and putting this together for me but the love and patience of a mother for her 9 year old to have such interests is the greatest gift a mother could give. For that I thank you mom.

1 comment:

Shannon MacGrogan-Ellis said...

I love it! And the story behind it as well! :)