Friday, February 13, 2009

1.Take Off, Destination Ireland...

First I'd like to take a moment to explain how these posts are going to work. I will post my trip in installments. Know that over the course of my 10 day trip I personally took a little over 1,000 pictures plus David gave me all the pictures he took while I was visiting. So as I slowly recover from my jet lag, I will be sifting through all of these and posting them HOPEFULLY in Chronological order as best I can. I will try to give you history as I can recall it and funny little sidebars when needed. Just know I had THE TIME OF MY LIFE on this trip. There is NO WAY I can tell you everything I experienced. I will do my best to take you along for the ride! I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures half as much as I enjoyed myself on this trip of a lifetime. Here we go!



I started my international trip on Aer Lingus flight 118 leaving Dulles International Airport at 6:45pm Tuesday Feb 3rd. Brian drove me and lovingly carried my heavy duffel through the airport and to the check in. Then we exchanged a slightly teary goodbye. Yes he faked it just right since I know he was really looking forward to having 10 days all to himself! It's a rare thing for him. For those of you who know me even slightly well know that I can not resist photographing my food. I just couldn't resist taking this oportunity! For you fellow Fight Club lovers here is my "single serving meal"!


I was really lucky to not have any "single serving friends" next to me. I had booked a window seat but as it turns out my seat didn't come with a window. So they were nice enough to move me to an exit row all to myself! I had tons of room and a "view" of the pitch black sky as I was flying over night! yep all that fuss for a window to the abyss below. Hey, I'll take that anyday.


Arrival in Dublin. I arrived local Dublin time at 7am. Up for 17 hours straight at this point. This will be important later. After a slightly tearful and giddy welcome I was finally in the arms of Erynne and her husband David the wonder tour guide.


We spent our first hours together walking the streets of Dublin. I'm sure that I looked like a tourist as I was slightly sleepy, giddy with excitement and my mouth was hanging open at all the sites. Oh the adventure has barely begun!


Here is the famous Erynne for which I crossed an ocean to see. I love her so dearly. She is the best friend a girl could ever ask for. Here we are, me in my travel clothes and all. Note the long green scarf, it will apear in EVERY picture that I'm in. For those of you who are fans of "The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" will know that you NEVER travel without your towel. That was my theme.

Here is the Dublin Spire in the background. The spire is known as "The Monument of Light" (An Tur Solais) and was built in 2003 to replace the Nelson Spire that was destroyed in a bombing in 1966. The Spire is 120meters tall. The statue in front is of Jim Larkin.


I love fun signs. Maybe it was the jet lag but this made me giggle!



Here is a view from the Liffey Bridge over the Liffey River. The bridge is also known as the HaPenny bridge for back before the bridge was built(1816) and the toll cost a halfpenny to cross the river on the ferry.


Here is another view, enjoy!


This picture was taken by David as we walked from Liffey Bridge to The Temple Bar area. Note the MUCH needed coffee in my hand! Very important after a long flight. That is Erynne on the left, me in the middle and some random Dubliner on the right! I love this picture, us in motion! And of course as always, a camera in my other hand!


Here is a view of the morning set up for the daily market. I just LOVE markets!


The Temple Bar area of Dublin. Rainy Dublin streets can just make you swoon and ask yourself, "Am I really here?"


Here's David walking ahead and leading the way! He's also carrying a coffee. Don't you just love the buildings, the colors, the atmosphere?


A brief history of Temple Bar as carved on a bench!


Here we are arriving at Trinity College. This is were we went to view The Book of Kells. As it turned out the original was not currently on display, but we did view a copy. What an overwelming history! I had just begun to breath in a sense of where I was, how old it was and how tangible it all is.


Off to view Christ Church Cathedral! Imagine, people walk by this every day on the way to work and shop. How many of them just walk by and don't even look up?


Ruins. I could just wander up and touch them! Really, just wander up and touch them.

Here's a close-up of the sign so I don't have to retype it here for you.


Can I have this as the front door on my house please?


Mind you this post takes you into only the first few hours of my trip so be on the lookout for post 2! Please leave a comment and let me know what you think. I didn't just take this trip for me, I took it for all of you as well. This blog as always is interactive so let your voices be heard!

No comments: