Wednesday, February 18, 2009

6. Ireland Days 4 and 5...

It's really not that I'm getting lazy by putting 2 days into one post, it's just that we took it easy over the weekend and didn't venture too far from the house. I mean you have to take some time off even on vacation, right? Brian and I are not "sports" people so we rarely watch a football game. I mean the only reason I even tuned in to the Super Bowl this year was because they lured me in with a free pair of 3-D glasses for the commercials, really, I'm just being honest here. So, to get back to my story David and Erynne were very excited to escourt me to the pub to watch my very first Rugby game, Ireland vs. France. I must say that I really enjoyed the game. I did my best to learn some of the rules but mostly I have to admit that watching those beautifully built guys run back and forth across the field in those tight rugby shirts is rather easy on the eyes! Plus they really know how to keep a girl interested by not taking a time out every friggin minute like american football oh how that makes me soooo bored!

I was deemed good luck for Rugby as Ireland won 30-21! Yay, go Irish!!! Sorry Jason, just can't break David's wee heart by routing for Enland :) I've been considered such good luck that I have been contacted twice since returning home and told what time to cheer! Still Good Luck, I'm the Rabbit's Sock! Yay!


Later that night Erynne was offered a chance to learn how to "Pull a Proper Pint" at the local pub The Electric Mouse. This pub open special just for a Birthday Party for a local girl. We got there early so that Erynne could settle in and get some practice before it got busy.I'm really sorry to report that I don't have a picture of her actually pouring a pint but I think you get the idea.


I think she looks quite at home here. She was a bit nervous but David and I pulled up a stool and did our best to cheer on in support of our favorite red haired bartender!

As the night got rollin David took some opportunities to capture the festivities. You may recognize the lady on the left side of the picture, that's Mary from Post #4 Ireland Day 2, Part 2.

And here is Me, Mary and Erynne getting our party groove on!

It's amazing how many people you can fit in this place.

I finally said "Screw it, no one knows me here or is even paying attention" so I stood on my bar stool and took some pics of the crowd, and yes I even had the nerve to use a flash!

These pictures do NOT show how many people ended up fitting in here. Now, this pub is a large pub. It has been remodeled and it where the younger crowd hangs out. Just letting you know that the other pubs I visited did not look like this. But I will tell you we were out partying this night till after 3am and having the time of our life. The evening ended with youngsters standing in a circle pounding their heels on the wood floor loudly singing rebel Irish songs they heard their grandfathers sing. What a rare moment that was to witness.


And here is the lovely David of tour guide and sandwich making fame. He truly is well rounded. You could not ask for a better person to watch over your favorite leather Michael Kors bag while you run to little girls room! Thanks babe, you are the best!

No it's not my birthday. Erynne snapped this lovly pic of us just hangin at the bar.
That night I met some lovely new people and ran into some that I'd already met. Remember Bill Blake that recited poetry my second night in town? Well this night I met one of his son's Ginger (cause he has a red beard, even Erynne can't remember his real name). He's another lovely man I was so glad I met. I really started to understand the Irish Pub Culture. It's all about the friends. It's what you do, it's where you get your news, it's where it's at, really! It's NOTHING like here in the states. I get it now and now I have a deep vein of need to get back to that time and space. An itch that is just out of reach.

1 comment:

Nathan Mollet said...

You miss spelled "really" behind the Ireland Vs. France Link =P

But I know what ya mean about wanting to get back into the bar scene where friends just meet up and have a pint(never had an actual pint) or two, which is a rare occasion in any bar that I have been in.