Monday, April 26, 2010

Bittersweet and Butter Beans...

This past Sunday found me dancing around the kitchen to one of my favorite bands Bittersweet. Their album The Mating Game is great. Here's a link to the YouTube Video, go and check it out. I think you'll really enjoy her sultry voice.

A really great friend of mine just passed along a simple soup recipe that is now "Officially Endorsed" by The Bear. I have one rule when passing along recipes, if the Bear doesn't give it two thumbs up then it doesn't get shared. He's my greatest critic, always has been, always will be. 4C Veg Stock (the whole box pictured here)
2 (14oz) cans Butter Beans, drained (next time I'll add 1 more can or maybe 2. We LOVE beans)
4 Tbsp Sun-Dried Tomato Paste (the whole tube) you can substitute regular Tom Paste
5Tbsp Basil Pesto
(Optional, 6 Sun-Dried Tomatoes from a bag, cut into pieces with kitchen shears, yummy)

In a large pot add Veg Stock and Beans
Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 Mins
Add Paste and Pesto, stir to combine well
(if opting to add the additional Sun-Dried Toms, do so now. I did and it was yummy)
Cover and simmer 5 Mins
Remove 4 Laddles worth of the soup into a blender or food processor and blend well. Return blended to pot. This will thicken up the soup

Here's what she looked like right before I slurped it down. The Bear's Birthday is tomorrow, hence the cake mix on the counter! I see CupCakes in our future. Mmmm, CupCakes.

Here's a typical site in our kitchen. I cook and Wiener the Wonder Dog is right there in the mix. Even if there's no meat to be found she still hopes something will fall to her level so she can sample what's for dinner! If it doesn't look promising then she just sits there with her eyes closed and pouting. Poor dear.
The Bear said that this soup would be just PERFECT in a thermos and packed for a picnic or a hike through the park. Yep, it's that good. Note to self, I think The Bear wants to go on a picnic.
Oh, I do hope you try this simple and satisfying recipe. Please let me know if you do and what you think about it.
I hope you've enjoyed this Musical Culinary Adventure. What music to you like to groove and cook to?

2 comments:

Nathan Mollet said...

I think I can cook that!

Pam Aries said...

Okay.. now that is something I could eat! Yeah!