Monday, April 26, 2010

Woolly Bear Adventure, Part 1...

About a week ago while sitting on the porch just after sunset I noticed something black crawling along the edge of the wall. What do you suppose that is, I asked. Why it was a Woolly Bear. But it's not your typical Woolly Bear that I'm used to seeing with a Brown middle section. This one's all black. What do you suppose it is? Well, upon further research on the internet I discovered that it was going to turn into a Giant Leopard Moth. How freakin COOL is that? That got me to wondering. Could I capture this beautiful creature and watch it morph into a gorgeous moth? Why yes, yes I could. So off to the store I went in search of a Bug House. I found this at Target for$12. Oh so much fun!
I can not express just how much fun I'm having with this little project. I mean I'm 32, married, no children, one dog and I'm giggling like a little girl over this little Woolly Bear. You should try this, really, you'll feel young again.

Under one of those leaves laying on the bottom is my little woolly bear. It makes a little leaf tent to sleep under for the day time hours. So cute. Let's peek under briefly shall we?

There it is. Hopefully I didn't disturb it too much trying to take it's picture.

ZZZzzzzz.


Once the sun went down and my Woolly Bear woke up the photo shoot began.

I brought the bug house in from the porch. With a little lamp, let's begin.

Aw, isn't it cute? How Cuddly.

Sorta like a little Koala Bear don't you think?

Back lit so that you can see it's adorable little feeties!

I had to find a way to show you Scale. Just a little finger shoved in there. For anyone who knows me, they'll know that "short" nail is so not typical. I usually have "talons".
I LOVE my little woolly bear. It's going to grow into a majestic Giant Leopard Moth. Stay tuned and follow us on our journey. May I challenge you to go out and search your own back yard for something equally as fun as my Giant Leopard Moth Woolly Bear?

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

This is way cool! I can't wait to see the transformation!

Unknown said...

He's too cute! I've googled the moth and he'll be a real beauty afterwards, too. Enjoy the adventure!

Unknown said...

Rachel you never cease to amaze me...can't wait to see the transformation!!!!!