Monday, October 19, 2009

Adventures with Nathan...

Our nephew Nathan (man I hate saying Nephew, since that makes me Aunt and that's just weeeeeiiiiird) came for a wonderful week long visit. We has so much fun. We went to the Home Goods store and found some fun things that made us giggle.
Really? A pepper grinder bigger than a toddler? It too can be yours for the one time price of One Hundred Big ones. Um, let's just take a picture instead!

We had festive Octobery beers just about anywhere we ate. Tis the season you know *wink*.

Nathan got to ride the metro for the first time. "Man, this isn't so bad." That was Nathan's observation while we rode into DC around 2pm with only 20 other people. His view changed completely once we rode back with ALL the commutors at the end of the day. When he saw all the drones stepping off the metro train only to line up again to catch a bus his comment was this, "They they get home and open a vein".
And that my dear readers is why we work for ourselves! Nuff said.

While in DC, Nathan and I went to the Air and Space Museum. Air Panes! Wee!!!

And here's our bad selves on the National Mall. It's a beautiful day, the weather was perfect, and oh yeah, it was my Birthday! Sweet!

After the Air and Space Museum we walked over to the Capitol for a look see.

Gotta do the shadow wave, right?

Here in the Nation's Capitol we have what I like to call "The Dork Tours". There's nothing that will bring a warm satisfying chuckle to my lips like a group of these aimless wanderers crossing my path. Come on, you know you wanna laugh too!

Talk about a beautiful day.

Some of you may have hear us talk about the new Capitol Visitor Center that was built under ground in front of the Capitol. I had yet to actually go there. Last I saw it it was a gigantic pit under construction when Brian and I were working night shift surveying inside the Capitol building 5 or 6 years ago.
This picture above is of the scale model of the Statue of Freedom that is located on the top of the Capitol Dome. She's pretty cool don't you think?

Since the Visitor Center is below ground they put in cool sky lights that let you view the Capitol Dome from under ground. Also pretty cool.

Back on our side of the river in Virginia, this is the National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center located next to Dulles International Airport. While Nathan and I were at the other location in DC we realized that the plane he really wanted to see what actually at this location. So, another roadtrip was born! Neither The Bear nor I had ever been here yet!

This place is HUGE inside! Seriously, they even have the Space Shuttle "Enterprise", no not from Star Trek. ( I know that was what you were thinkin cause that's what I was hopin for, hee hee. Who doesn't love Jean Luc Picard?)

This was the bad boy that Nathan wanted to see. Pretty impressive eh?

I think this pic speaks for itself!

Now this pic sure is a good one! I can't decide wether The Bear's face is one of surprise at me whipping out my camera or if he's gaurding his prize "Americone Dream" ice cream. If you are a fan of Stephen Colbert, and I KNOW that you are, you'll know how hard it is to find this dairy delight!

It doesn't take much to amuze these boys. You take them to dinner out at the Eden Center for some seafood Pho and a bright red shiny table with sparkley stars on it and they are instantly teenage boys giggling and asking for their picture to be taken!
All I have to say is that I really and truly LOVE these boys. Thank you sooo very much Nathan for helping to make my Birthday Week a very very special one. Including the sneaky way you put my Card out when I wasn't looking!

1 comment:

Barb said...

The Statue of Freedom! How cool! To be able to see it UP CLOSE!