Friday, April 15, 2011

A is for Amaryllis...

I've never had a green thumb. I don't know what it is, it just doesn't come natural to me. I'm better off with an animal, a creature that can more easily communicate to me it's needs and wants. I speak dog, not plant.

Upon moving in here last November our friend Leah gave us an Amaryllis bulb as a "welcome back to the neighborhood" gift. I knew it would be beautiful, if I could manage to not only keep it alive but help it thrive. I did some research and found a great Amaryllis Site that showed me step by step what I needed to do. It was a great site because, well see the result for yourself...

I had patiently watched and waited as it grew. Some days it grew so fast I thought for sure I could actually watch it. I mean that stalk actually grew 6" one day! Incredible. When the day finally came when she started to bloom I could barely contain my joy. She was way more beautiful than any flower I have ever known.
Nature simply takes my breath away.

Sadly I knew her beauty wouldn't last forever so I moved her into my studio to capture her beauty on canvas. My mother-in-law's birthday was just around the corner and I knew she would love to have her likeness to put on her little collectibles shelf.

Beautiful large or small.


When it's just too beautiful not to share, paint it!

1 comment:

Spoons in a Crucible said...

I love that you paint tiny!

I was horrible at plants until I started buying the "Almost dead" plants at work and Home Depot. My thought was "If they die it's not my fault". Weirdly, they stopped dying.