Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Woolly Bear Adventure Part 4 the Giant Leopard Moth...

Remember this little guy from 3 weeks ago? Well I've been carefully and oh so patiently waiting to see who would emerge from the chrysalis. I checked on him every morning and night. Tomorrow would mark 3 weeks exactly since he popped his skin and turned into the chrysalis. I checked on him this morning and not really any changes to note. While on the phone with my mum this afternoon I just casually wandered by his bug hut and GUESS WHAT? This is what I saw!
Look at that adorable pudgy belly! I wish that I could pet it cause it looks so silky soft.

I took him in his bug hut outside to photograph him in the natural sunlight but I was afraid at first to open the lid so this pic is taken through the plastic cover. If something went wrong and he got away I wanted at least some sort of photo evidence. Now that's good thinkin.


When viewed at certain angles you'll notice some of his "black" spots are actually a brilliant irridescent blue/green.

I carefully unzipped the lid and poked my camera inside for a closer view.

Simply breathtaking. Now you see the blue.

Now you don't.


I wish I could get a picture of his wings outstretched. But I refuse to touch him. I'm very respectful of his personal space. I mean really, think about it. He just woke up after 3 long hard weeks of transforming, a strange giant creature carries you out into the bright light and shoves this weird camera thing in your face. That's gotta be weird right? I wonder, does he remember me? We did spend some nice quality time together.

One last final belly shot after I zipped him back in. Tonight at dusk we will take him out and open the lid and wait for him to take flight out into nature. We are surrounded by old growth trees and it's sorta quiet here in the evening considering we live in the city. He should have a very good chance of finding a mate and starting this life cycle all over again. I'm so very glad that I did this. This has truly brought me such great joy. I hope you've had fun following along. You truly never know what adventures await you just steps from your very door. You don't have to wander for days out in the woods to find wonders of nature, just step outside and look around. That's all I did and I can't stop squealing with excitement because of it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

He is beautiful! I am jealous! All I ever see around here is the annoy pigeons!

Linda J Faulkner said...

What a truly magnificent creature!
Well worth the wait to view his amazing transformation. I'm so very glad you shared him with us.

MOM

Daithi O'Caiside said...

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

All done cooking! Great pics, thank you for bringing us along on the journey!