Friday, August 20, 2010

99 Luftballons, Minus 93...

Some facts: I am from Ohio, North Canton Ohio to be exact. When people ask "Where is that" there are two ways to answer. I can either answer "The home of Marylin Manson" or if that doesn't work I say "The home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame" which I might add I am proud to say I have NEVER been to. On their site they actually state "The Pro Football Hall of Fame is close to everything!" Trust me when I say this is a bold faced LIE! Trust me. But I digress. Every year the city of Canton throws the Pro Football HOF Festival which is at the very end of July into the beginning of August. Among the many attractions is the Balloon Classic Invitational. I grew up seeing the sky filled with these magical delights. They even have Team Racing and Target Drop Contests. One year there was a target painted on the street in front of my house and I was in awe watching the balloons float over and try to drop a bean bag as close to the target as possible. Talk about magical!!

During this last festival my sister-in-law stepped out her door and snapped a great photo of some balloons coming her way. She sent the picture to my hubby in an email and that was it, he wanted me to make it into a painting.

(click on any image to make them larger if you wish)

Here she is! What do you think? do you love it?

The scene even wraps around the edge, cool eh?

Are you ready for a little secret?

Well scroll down...














Ta Da... Did you know it was that small? I bet you didn't.

It's so adorable I just love it. I still don't know how I was able to get all the detail in there. I mean, down spouting?!
I am working on a full size painting that measures 18" X 24" but it's not an exact copy of the small one, more of a dreamy translation. I hope that the big one turns out even half as good. Stay tuned to see if I can pull it off.


What kinds of projects are you all working on?

5 comments:

Shannon MacGrogan-Ellis said...

I did NOT know it was that tiny! How fun! Glad you are enjoying some painting time and look forward to seeing the next one! Love you!

Anonymous said...

OMG that rocks!!!!!!

Jenny

Erynne said...

Fabulous! Sure it is minuscule, way smaller than I thought. I see another thing you can do and sell!

Daithi O'Caiside said...

teenie weenie brilliance!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I love small things... and the side wrapping is so cool!

What am I doing you ask? Socks. Blue socks.