Sunday, November 09, 2008

A Homework Assignment that ended in Tears!

Okay, most of you are now realizing that I am indeed a slow reader. I mean a snail could probably circle the earth before I finished this book but the good news is that I did indeed finish it. The Bear is always teasing me because normally when it comes to books I have ADD and never seem to finish them. In most cases it's not that I wasn't enjoying the book or that it wasn't well written, it's simply that my brain is able to move on to something else and never feel guilt or remorse for having abandoned the characters. Maybe I need therapy to better learn how to treat my literary relationships. I love them and leave them so easily. Don't judge me! Really I'm a good person! After recently joining a local book club I have been determined to finish what ever book I start. I am proud to report that last evening I finished Owen Meany! Yay! Now I feel the need to give an honest report of this book. I have encountered many people who give either John Irving in general or this book in particular a glowing review. Therefore I really had high hopes and dove right in. I am here to report simply that reading this book felt a little like a homework assignment. I was compelled to read on to see what happend but I never found myself getting though a daily chore quicker so that I could return to it as I did with "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". However, that said, when the end finally came I found myself in tears, reaching for a tissue and thinking that all 548 pages just may have been worth it after all.

With the well creased book in my lap, the last page turned and tears in my eyes, I sat there wondering just how long the mourning period is for a book. Do I have to wait a day before moving on to the next book or do i just jump right in? I think I may have to write Dear Abby on this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say move as fast as possible. There too many good books to waste time.